Sunday, April 6, 2008

Make Your Mistakes Quickly


In the initial brainstorming phase of this project, I was just organizing my informtion in order to determine what form the graph should take.

After that I moved into my first idea, which was to place all the icons on the map of the earth in the places they were invented and modified. This failed the quickest, because I realized that most of the invention/modification happened in just a couple places.

Now that I knew I had to deal with a few places of origin I tried again with a map of just the places they had been invented, but It didn't work because most of the objects were invented or modified in a single location, but a few then would skip out to spots on the map that are geographically distant, also it didn't give the sense of time through space and scale the way I wanted it to.

My next step was the one on the previous blog post, then I started this version based on the input described for that one. I changed my y-axis to place of invention, and my x-axis was still time. The problem I attempted to solve at the bottom of this graph with all the scribbles and numbers, was how to evenly and logically destribute the time.

This version maintains the x-and y-axis of the previous, and utilizes the separation worked out on the last time line. I segmented the time into five places, each one moving at different intervals in an attempt to create a more even spacing along the graph.

2 comments:

jamie said...

Ian, nice break-down of your rational and making evolution.

Do you find this "documenting methodology" informing or expanding your design process?

Ian Tirone said...

I do in fact.

By forcing myself to look at and document the reasons for why I am making the changes from phase to phase allows me to further my understanding of how I need to work, as well as offering additional insight that I can use to better current phases.

I don't know if this would work well on an individual phase basis. I waited until I passed through several phases, that way I could see a micro evolution of process, rather than documenting one at a time, and not really seeing the strings that connect them.