Friday, April 4, 2008

Friday's Critique


Click for pre and post critique photos
The critique with Ramzy and Cassie today was very helpful, while Cassie was able to figure out what my graph was depicting we decided that it was far too confusing, and that the ascension of the icons along the vertical was arbitrary. It was suggested that the vertical axis be the countries of origin instead of having them extend below the time line. It was also decided that the lines leading to the text will become entirely too confusing. Finally the "EKG-ish" element will not have as much prominence, it just looks dominant because in my rough version the hand lettering has such thin strokes, but I think when I'm finished it should be balanced enough. The reason it is there is because that zig-zag is a mathematical element used when graphing to show truncation. I think I need it, because otherwise there would be 2500 years of empty space. So it was an effort to make the graph more even. If you think it should go I can remove it, but I kinda like it. I'll just subdue it. Maybe I can use my own method of truncation instead. I'll think about that.

1 comment:

jamie said...

The x-axis (spatial and temporal) graphing is clear - and especially reveals the increase of invention come the 1600s...

What is the EKG-ish element refer to? It is a prominent feature on the page so I assume it is of great importance. You bring the viewers eye there and nothing is revealed (yet). If it has a purposeful employ, then it needs to be clearly defined. If it is arbitrary, then it communicated medical to me and is off topic.

What is plotted on the y-axis? I see that you have delineating 4 horizontal categories. Good but must clarify these (with labeling, with graphic divisions).

The diagonal lines moving from left read as complexity without purpose. But, here is an opportunity for the graphic itself to enlighten/reveal/educate. Work with (placement, color, scale) differentiations so the viewer can start to recognize patterns within the lines.

hmmm... implementing the vernacular of a x-y coordinates seems conceptually appropriate here. Cartisian geometry > Descartes > emotions > crime. While not critical to your larger message, it could be an opportunity to reveal/relate to your content. Not unlike an easter egg.