Sunday, February 22, 2009

Manual OverRide

This is the final product for the userExperience bicycle repair manual. I'm really happy with it, and owe gratitude to Gerg and Shmerg (aka Greg Kaufman and Laura Berglund) for their teammatemanship during this project. I don't think I've ever worked so well with anyone before. I think the project works well as an object and if I had to change anything about it, that would have to be the way the user moves through it. Whenever people looked at it they would open be confused while opening it, but they also weren't reading it, they were just looking at the pictures the the structure of the type so they would not have recieved the que that we added to the copy tricking the user into opening the whole thing rather than just telling them. I know for me when I put things together or follow instructions I always open the whole pamphlet up to see all the steps at once, I think it's harder to understand the portions if you don't understand the whole, it is difficult to make a decision without knowing how that will affect future steps. So, I can't commit myself to opening the quick release skewer without knowing why I'm doing it (lifting out the tire). We talked about color, and how blue makes people feel like they can do it, and the earth tones feel friendly. I think the way the red looks on the lightly tan paper exudes confidence. It tells the user that the makers of the manual are confident and as a result that confidence is transfered to them.
Yep.

No comments: