Friday, November 14, 2008

Commotion in the Ocean of Data

I will be creating a data presentation about driving, cars, and fuel related information.
My vision for this project is a presentation of information about emissions and environmental concerns, impact, issues, and things of that nature
I see the purpose of this work as being an awareness campaign. What effects do petroleum burning vehicles really have, showing possible solutions and presenting options for a better cleaner tomorrow. The context for this I see as being a presentation to companies or a promotion on a fuel cell car dealerships website, something a company like honda would use at a trade show. It would likely be primarily used as a form of web based viral propaganda. I don’t think it would be likely to be seen on television, and the presenter i envision being contained within the presentation, i.e. a voice over narrative.
audience would most likely be people in the market for a new vehicle, as a means to pursued them to turn to alternate fuel/fuel efficient synergy vehicles. it would also be something that would appeal to the younger college environmentally conscious people.
this would be something that

http://www.good.is/sections/video/videos.php

what i like about this is it is really information packed, but done in a way that disguises the information, but really you are getting a lot of stuff all in a truncated comical form. Information about cinema, and current affairs, and history.

http://www.good.is/?p=13279
I like this again because it is humorous and masks the information, but presents it clearly and uses ethos to do so. We believe it because the supposed scientist is scene as a credible source.

as i was putting this together I was looking at good videos and they are exactly that. videos that have good messages and say good things and are the epitome of good.

http://www.mk12.com/

okay so i can't link to this i've been having link troubles for some reason but if you go to the client video motion pieces then you can click on the diesel video
this is not the way i want to represent data.

also for mk12 in the same area click on the adult swim video

okay so this isn’t real data but i like the form of it. it is self explanatory doesn’t need a voice over and is funny.

http://infosthetics.com/archives/2008/04/visualizing_co2_emissions.htm

so this is more along the lines of my topic, i like the way they use a the balloon to relate the more abstract idea of volume, with respect to emissions.
http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/videos.aspx

this also is a boring information representation but relates to my topic, so how could/would i make something like this interesting. Innovation music, check, clear descriptions, check, single shot, check, cheesy tag line, check. Total snooze-fest.


I chose the project, honestly and most truthfully because i figured most everyone would do the television intro project, and that is the one I initially wanted to pursue, however I have been trying to work in modes that are unappealing to me as a way to familiarize myself with them and become better at working through things that I would rather not do. I think I could have more easily done the show intro, and so this way i’ll be challenging myself. In terms of my portfolio I think that neither one would benefit more than the other because it seems to me that the speed with which a portfolio is viewed (at least in my limited experience) they don’t so much look at the content, so either one would be viewed as a motion piece and they won’t be hearing me describe the project, but rather scrutinizing the skill with which the “object” was created.

No comments: