Friday, March 13, 2009

Worm Man

what we see is based on our own attitudes environments and or cultural framework creates our perspective

we have to compare things against our lives to understand them

we have so much information to deal with that we constantly have to reevaluate our beliefs and opinions,
only open minded people are capable of doing this
when we explain things we assume people see it as we do
as i was making my maps i was thinking that I’m making these associations between topics, but are they too vague or do they actually have merit that other people will be able to understand and pick up on.

our perceptions are selective
we have a selective attention perception and retention
that is three filters by which information has to get into our brain, it is a wonder that anyone can remember anything at all, what inherent quality is that things have that allows them to get into most of our brains. We all remember september 11th, it was able to get past all three of the filters, for almost every american. do things really just have to be intensely shocking or is there some other quality that it has, innate to its existence that allows it to become memorable.

perception by nature exaggerates

I chose these essays because the ideas presented in both are things that I struggle with, and I’m hoping that through this assignment and taking a closer look at them I will be able to come to some sort of resolution concerning them.

It’s funny, at the beginning of this semester Morgan had me read the Paula Scher article and I agreed with it almost 100%, but after portfolio day and after a projects worth of growth, I don’t think I agree with any of it hardly at all. I think that portfolio day made me realize that if designers don’t want to think then that is fine. I want to think so I am going to continue to, thinking requires others to think with and you need a common vocabulary to speak in, and that is what Scher calls “jargon” she is just too set in her ways to change. That’s fine, but what she has to realize is that just as PostModernism was the “new wave” in design after modernism, so is theory today. We need the theory not to substantiate us as a profession there are plenty of other things to do that for us. We need theory and vocabulary to continue advancing the profession. Newton invented calculous because the math of the day was insufficient to do what he needed it to. I don’t think i have to finish the analogy for you to get my point. OOOOOORRRRRRRYYYYYEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: